Saturday, April 17, 2010

Funashin

For any of you who know me, you know what Funashin is (because I talk about it constantly). If there is one place that serves authentic, amazing Japanese food in Orange County, Funashin is it. My family has been going there since I was tiny, and I have grown up to expect greatness from Japanese food, much to my dismay, I found out that most Japanese restaurants can't hold a candle to the yumminess that is Funashin. Starting from the very first appetizer (a fantastic cabbage dish, I'm not sure what it's called in Japanese- but it's slightly fermented cabbage with a great salty/sour flavor, almost like a very mild saurkraut), you will realize the pride that the owner takes in her food. Etsuko is the proprietor of the restaurant, a sweet Japanese lady with a penchant for gardening, she places roses from her own garden on each of the tables in beautiful ceramic vases. Next be sure to order some Tseukemono and some Edamame (Japanese pickles and boiled soybeans coated with sea salt). Anything you order off the menu will be fresh and wonderful, I believe I have tried them all! I usually start off with Salmon Skin rolls, and they're always so good! Next I order either Hibachi Shrimp, Hibachi Fish, or New York Cut Terriyaki. These are basically the same meal, just with a different kind of meat substituted out. The Hibachi Shrimp are amazingly sweet, fresh and delicate, the Fish is Mahi-Mahi served with amazing ginger and terriyaki dipping sauces, and the New York is a great juicy steak, all served on a sizzling metal plate with sides of green beans, roasted carrot, sticky rice, miso soup, and the best salad you've ever had. The salad has been a source of wonder for me for a long time. My sister and I have spent hours in the kitchen trying to recreate the salad dressing that Funashin uses, but much to our dismay, we haven't even come close! The closest I can come to describing it is a salmon-colored dressing that tastes sligtly gingery, with ground onions and possibly some lemon? It is without a doubt, the BEST salad dressing I have ever put in my mouth. Finish off your meal with a scoop of Green Tea, Red Bean, or Cappuchino Ice Cream and you're good to go! And if you go in, be sure to tell you Jamie sent you! :)
Funashin Restaurant, 18120 Brookhurst St, #25, Fountain Valley, CA 92708 (714) 963-3484

No comments:

Post a Comment